The main unit of currency in Mainland China is the Yuan (¥), the international currency exchange abbreviation for which is CNY. The current limit of Chinese currency which can be brought into or taken out of China is 6,000¥.  

Although the carrying of foreign currency is technically unrestricted, large amounts, exceeding 5,000 US $ or equivalent should be declared.

Chinese notes are issued in denominations of 1¥, 2¥, 5¥, 10¥, 20¥, 50¥ and 100¥.

The currency is further divided into Jiao of which there are 10 to the Yuan (¥) and although now rarely used due to its lack of meaningful value, the Jiao is further divided into Fen, of which there are 10 to the Jiao, equivalent to a cent of a Yuan (¥).

Coins come in denominations of 1¥, 5 Jiao, 1 Jiao and 5 Fen, and although no longer issued, note equivalents still remain in circulation.

Please note that if you are including travel to Hong Kong and/or Macau, as part of your China trip, these locations operate different currencies. Please see our pages for these destinations for more details on currency and other travel information pertinent to these locations.

ATM’s accepting international cards are now plentiful in cities, major towns and other main tourist locations in China and are fitted with multi-lingual software for ease of use by visitors. Charges for withdrawals apply and details of the relevant transactional fees should be obtainable from your own bank.  

It is advisable to keep ATM withdrawal receipts to enable you to change leftover Yuan into another currency upon departure from China.

Credit Cards are also widely accepted in the major tourist destinations and hotels and shops, though it should be noted that retail outlets might often add a surcharge to cover Credit Card commissions.

Travellers Cheques have limited use, and are available for exchange only at major tourist hotels and the larger banks.

Carrying cash is best accomplished using a money belt discreetly hidden under clothing, and beyond the reach of pickpockets, transferring smaller amounts of usable cash out of public sight into a wallet for general use. Credit cards and passports should also be stored in this manner.

If, despite your best efforts, you lose anything or are a victim of theft, whether money or possessions, it should be reported immediately to the nearest Public Security Bureau Foreign Affairs Office, ensuring you have a copy of the loss report for insurance purposes.